Sunday, January 02, 2011

Separated at Birth


Separated at birth? Mungowitz and Nick Nolte...

Lagniappe: The reason *I* look that way (Not sure what Nick's excuse was) is that I had this operation. With local anesthesia. Which means I got to watch (it's a 2 hour operation, by the way). If you want to see what it looks like from outside, check out this video.

It's amazing they can do that to an eye. It's even more amazing they did that to mine, and that I had to watch the whole thing. On the plus side: they prescribed oxycodone, the oxycontin plus other stuff pain medication. I was a little upset to learn that that was what they were going to prescribe, because they try to avoid it. It has to be clear that you are going to hurtin' before you get it. It does help, though. Gosh, have you ever looked at how your fingers bend? I mean really looked at your fingers. Whooooaaaaa.....

5 comments:

Richard Stands said...

Ouch.

Gerardo said...

I was on oxycondone for the summer after a rather bad spill. I found myself staying up really late watching tv because it just felt too good to waste sleeping.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a retired anesthesiologist, I have 2 comments regarding your surgery: 1. Over the years I cared for literally hundreds of scleral buckle patients, and every one of them had a general anesthetic. Yes we put them to sleep. 2. In our practice it was more like a 45 minute procedure.

Pelsmin said...

I remember when Rush Limbaugh read an interview you had given and loved it. You guys have a lot in common -- be careful with that oxycontin.

Mungowitz said...

Yep, it was odd. Apparently that is Duke Eye Center's "procedure": Local. Pretty scary.