Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pillow Talk

Mrs. A: What's the name of that show again?

Me: Eastbound & Down

Mrs. A: That's a weird name, hard to remember

Me: Not if you've seen Smoky & the Bandit, "Eastbound & Down, loaded up and trucking, we're gonna do what they say can't be done" (yes I was singing this part. Pluto got up and went to lay down in the hallway).

Mrs. A: I never saw that movie. Wasn't the Bandit a chimp or something?

Me: uh, well, the Bandit was Burt Reynolds.

Mrs. A: So yes, then!

Which made me remember exactly why I'd married her lo these 14 years ago!

I offered that she might be thinking of "Every which way but loose" where Clint Eastwood drove around with Clyde the orangutan, but she said she was thinking of a TV show, then I came up with "BJ and the Bear" but I couldn't remember whether it had an ape or a monkey or even which title character was the simian.

2 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

This'll get you straight on the chimp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AsqKQptTdQ

"I'm BJ McKay and this is my best friend, Bear" is I think what he sings on the second go-round. (I used to think it was "I'm BJ McKay and meet my best friend bear", but the video proves me wrong.

Nathanael D Snow said...

The Chimp was Bear, "Right turn, Clyde", and Reynolds is now a chimp with a facelift.
I've encouraged a first-year grad student from China to watch "Smokey and the Bandit" as a good way to learn about American culture. The cannon must be passed on!