Sunday, December 14, 2008

It's Time I'm Walkin' to New Orleans

A note from a friend, after s/he read the hunting post:

For the last two months I've been tutoring a [history student]. Her class is up to the Civil War now, and we were discussing the Union's original plan to attack the South down the Mississippi River to New Orleans.

"New Orleans is in the South?" she asked. "I didn't know that."

"Um, yeah," I said, showing her a map of the US. "See? All the way down there."

"Oh...so, like, that's where Katrina happened, right?"

"Yeah..."

She looked confused. "But didn't Katrina happen in Los Angeles?"

I stared at her.

"It wasn't in Los Angeles?"

"Umm...no. See, it came up through the Gulf like this, and Los Angeles is...all
the way over here."

"Oh...so then why did everyone say it happened in New Orleans, LA?"

Luckily, though, I don't think she's the hunting type.


(with apologies to Fats)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

America is doomed.

It's alright--I never liked it that much over here, anyway.